If you have made it this far, you are obviously thinking that becoming a Disney Travel Agent is in your near future. But, how do you become a Disney Travel Agent? We are here to help.
Option #1 – Find an existing Disney focused Travel agency that will hire you.
This is the easiest option by far, especially if you have never worked as a travel agent before, Disney Specialist or not. When searching, beware who you are talking to. Many agencies will interview you, hire you, and set you free with little to no training and no further support or leads. It is very, very rare that agents succeed in agencies like this. They hire everyone that applies, hope a few work out and let the rest go. That is no way to start your Disney career. Here is what you should look for when you are interviewing agencies:
- Make sure the agency has been around for a while, at least 5 years.
- Confirm that the agency is an Authorized Disney Travel Agency, which means they are on good standing with Disney and have met minimum qualifications.
- Make sure your new agency will offer training, both initially and ongoing.
- Verify that your new agency will provide leads to you.
- Ask to talk to one or two other agents who work for that agency. Most agencies will have a lineup of current agents on their website, pick 2 and ask if you can call or email them.
- Ask what percentage of applicants are hired.
- Please note that you do not have to go to school or get licensed to become a travel agent, that does not exist. Your new agency should provide all the training you need.
Working for an existing travel agency has both positives and negatives. This is a great place for most people to start, especially if you are a novice when it comes to being a travel agent. Many agents with good travel agencies are very successful and never leave, they make great money and have fantastic support. If you think this might be your path, we strongly recommend our friends over at Mouseketrips, they really are the best around.
Option #2 – Start your own travel agency
This is literally jumping into the deep end. Starting your own agency is an option, but not really one recommended for anyone who is a brand new agent. While definitely possible, and it is what I did many many years ago, it is really a difficult process. Not only do you have to know Disney, you need to know marketing, technology, web development and so much more. Here are just some of the steps you will need to take:
- Create a business entity such as an LLC
- Register with your state
- Register your domain name
- Contact the IRS for an EIN
- Open a bank account
- Find an office
- Find hosting for your website
- Build your website
- Figure out your email and other communications needs
- Figure out phone numbers
- Set up social media accounts
- Register with a CLIA or IATA or both
- Contact all Disney destinations and register with them to book travel
- Figure out accounting software
- Figure out CRM software
- So much more!
If you have done some of this before, then it might be such a big deal to do it all again. Once all this work is done, which could take months and many thousands of dollars, you still don’t have any clients.
There are some pluses to owning your own agency of course, as you control your own destiny. You are not relying upon an agency to support you, to stay in business, to pay you what you have earned. Definitely an option if you have experience.
Option #3 – MagicalHosts
MagicalHosts is a fantastic option if you want to become a Disney Travel Agent on your own but not have to deal with that huge list above. MagicalHosts is a bit of a hybrid between the two options above, and is perfect for experienced Disney travel agents and even new agents who have experience selling travel. So, how can MagicalHosts help you?
- You will own your own agency, partnered with MagicalHosts.
- We have the experience in setting up travel agencies, and will help you with most of the items listed above that may seem super difficult.
- MagicalHosts will create and host your website, as well as include training on how to use it.
- We will help you with domain registration, setting up email and phone numbers, etc.
- You will use MagicalHosts IATA or CLIA number, no need to get your own. We will get your registered with Disney.
- We provide all Errors and Omissions insurance for you.
- MagicalHosts will help set up Social Media and other accounts for you.
- We include all CRM software that you need for free.
- We provide ongoing support for your agency, no matter the subject, for as long as you are with MagicalHosts. If you think it is difficult, we are here to help.
Do you think MagicalHosts might work for you? Contact us to start the conversation (there is no obligation to continue if you don’t think we are a perfect fit).