If you are reading this, it is likely you are either currently a travel agent, or are wanting to become one. Specifically, a Travel Agent that specializes in Disney vacations. I have written in the past about becoming a Travel Agent, which included some differences between working as an agent for a Travel Agency and owning your own, but I thought it would be helpful for many to know what the benefits are for owning your own Disney Travel Agency.
Disney Agency Ownership
There are some big positives about owning your own Disney Travel Agency, here are just a few highlights for you
- You own all of your client’s information, the agency you work for probably won’t be handing over all of your client information when you leave. You also own all of the social media and other accounts, no need to start over when moving again.
- Consistency. No moving from one agency to the next thinking the grass is greener.
- No bad apples. Ever worked at an agency where a few of the agents are really bad, leading to bad reviews? You are awesome, don’t let one bad apple ruin your business.
- Work when you want, how you want.
- No worry about sudden surprises like your agency closing or firing you. You own the business.
- You aren’t getting any leads or support from your existing agency. Owning your own agency you get to keep all the leads the come in, and MagicalHosts provides awesome support.
- It is your business, you can set it up and run it as you please.
- You keep more of the money! Many agencies keep 40 – 50% of your commissions (some even more!). Keep more of your money.
- When people ask you what you do, you can say “I own a travel agency” rather than “I work for a travel agency”. So much better!
Your Travel Agency, your Disney Style
Maybe you really want to be a Disney Cruise specialist. Maybe you think you can market to all of those Disney Villain fans out there, or book Disney honeymoons only. It is your agency, so it should fit your style.
Your agency can take on your style 100%, from agency name, theming, focus, marketing, how you work with clients, etc. General travel agents are going out of business right and left, the ones that have survived and prospered are those that specialize in something unique.
Disney Travel Benefits
While travel agents don’t get to travel for free, they can get discounted Disney travel from time to time. Once you have reached some minimum booking qualifications (currently $5,000 in commissions in the past 12 months), you will have access to discounted Disney (and other company) travel.
- One discounted booking at Walt Disney World every year, typically half-off regular price. Stay can be no longer than 7 nights.
- One discounted booking at Disneyland every year, and like Walt Disney World, room is typically half-off. Discounted rates typically depend on time of year, busy times are not as discounted, less busy times are closer to a 50% discount.
- One 10-day Walt Disney World discounted park pass that includes the Park Hopper Plus options – 50% off. As an alternate, you can choose a free 1-day ticket with the park hopper plus option. You cannot do both, you are limited to one or the other.
- One Free 1-day Disneyland ticket with hopping option per year.
- Disney Cruise Line offers Space Available rates and Travel Agent Appreciation rates, they change weekly. Space Available Rates are the less desirable discount, and are usually on cruises in the next 3-4 months that are not selling well. For example, I just booked an Alaska cruise for my family this summer, normal rate would have been over $4,000 (less my commission). I was able to book the same cruise for a little over $2,600, so I save nearly $1,000. If you can find Travel Appreciation Rates, you should jump on them. They are rare, I may see 3 – 4 cruises each year that are included. They are usually last minute and the discounts are often huge. You can only book one of each type of Disney Cruise discount each calendar year.
- Adventures by Disney is offered at a pretty steep discount, typically about 40% off the lowest rate available to the public. Not all adventures are included, and not all dates. Again, only one discounted Adventure per year.
- Aulani offers room discount up to 50% off, and just like other Disney destinations, you are limited to one discounted booking per year. Stay can be up to 7 nights.
- Walt Disney World and Disneyland both offer Agent Education Programs. AEPs are typically a few nights, and include in depth training about Disney parks and resorts. They are typically very inexpensive, and include your Disney resort room, training, food and all the other little perks.
Please note on all of these discounted options, you are allowed to bring others with you, as long as your group will fit in the room offered. If your immediate family (spouse and young kids) will not fit in a normal room, Disney will typically accommodate you with a second room (also discounted). If you want to take all your high school friends on a cheap Disney Cruise, Disney won’t be nearly as flexible.
Working with MagicalHosts
There is no better way to start your own Disney Travel Agency than with MagicalHosts. We take all the hassle out of starting and running your agency. You deal with your clients, we deal with the rest. Working with MagicalHosts, you retain all the benefits listed above, but don’t have to worry about all the headaches caused by owning your own agency.
Do you think MagicalHosts might work for you? Contact us to start the conversation (there is no obligation to continue if you don’t think we are a perfect fit).